I have been working on this post for the longest time and did this shoot early this year if I am not wrong. It was a labour of love seeing as I am not a make up guru but I felt like I needed to do this. Being a dark skin is a beautiful thing and as easy as it is to get beautiful clothes to wear, the narrative sometimes is not the same when it comes to finding make up that compliments our skin tone. I had to buy almost five different foundations when I started doing my make up before I found something I was comfortable with. Same goes to lipstick colours. For a very long time I stuck to red lipstick because that was the only color I was sure looked good on me. I am yet to experiment with every lip colour out there but so far , I have come along way. This post therefore is about colours dark skin girls can try without looking too crazy(unless of course that’s what you are going for) and it’s more general in terms of colours rather than the specific brands and lipsticks used. I’ve tried to give specific details where possible
Make up by Mina Khan
photography by John Okode
1)Bright red lipstick looks really good on us. I haven’t found a bright red lipstick I didn’t like be it MAC ruby woo, Huddah Monroe’s Vamp or this nouba millebacci no 7 I have on right here. Matte red also gives a different look when compared to creamy or glossy ones
2) This is my second favorite colour, deep maroon. I have it in various forms from matte to creamy, you name it. I love this one from nouba millebaci (number6) because of it’s velvet finish and for some reason, unlike the red one, I do not reapply it at any given time once I leave the house. It’s consistency is awesome. I use this a lot when meeting friends for a glass of wine or on dates that involves biting food here and there because I don’t have to worry about re application and stains
3) Finding the perfect nude lipstick is such a challenge to us. You can try a few from MAC cosmetics,I have one from huddah though I do not use it that much. I got this max factor from carre four and it comes as a pack of one lipstick and one lip balm.It’s matte but you do need to reapply if you eat something. I am yet to check if they are available in the local carre four at the karen hub/ 2 rivers mall.
4) As I said, any type of maroon looks really cool but you do have to explore with textures and all. Unlike nouba, this urban decay number 01 lipstick is semi matte,long lasting and gives a different look to it compared to a liquid matte lipstick of the same color range
5) I fell in love with this rich deep brown lipstick from flomar (number L02) the first time I set my eyes on it. It’s long wearing and can honestly work as a nude lipstick if you dab just a little of it and gloss it out with your fave lip gloss. I do that a lot when going for a subtle look for work.
6) deep red similar to red wine in color is a perfect alternative for those who are not feeling the bright red lipsticks. It does a decent job of complementing your skin tone and the options are overwhelming in the market. I would recommend this particular one from flomar (no 203) because it’s long wearing or red wine by Pauline cosmetics
7) PINK…sigh! this is the most difficult colour to score. I remember when sleek cosmetics had some bright pink lipstick that only looked beautiful on light skin women. I have tried posh pink from Pauline cosmetics too. What works for me is this pink shimmery lipstick from L’oreal (color riche 287) When you have a creamy pink lipstick with shimmer, just dab a little on both lips, rub them together and you are good to go. The amount of pink is enough to upgrade your look. I realized the less you apply the more natural it looks
8) The red version of this lipstick is a darling to me. I have talked a lot about red but adding one more that has shimmer won’t hurt nobody now would it? Just like the pink, I use just a little of this L’oreal color riche (number 382)because I do not want lighted up Christmas lips up in here. Incase you have any recommendation for pink and red shimmer lipsticks we should try, drop a comment below
9) Plum is the colour and unlike nouba and the urban decay lipstick, this is a little more darker. That’s the furthest I try to go in regards to darker colours. I have had this sleek true colour lipstick (fandago purple 431) for a while now. It’s long wearing, highly pigmented and semi matte. You can try Pauline cosmetic’s marvel lipstick as well
10) I guess this list would not be complete without this shade of brown with gold undertones. They do a pretty good job when you don’t go all out on your eye shadow colours. With a minimalistic overall make up look, it pops out really well. I have on a black radiance (number 5020) but feel free to recommend other brands
Well, that is it from me but remember,colours do look different on various skin tones therefore don’t be afraid of experimenting. I didn’t do much editing on these pictures because I wanted them to reflect the true colours I am showing you guys.Do share the lipsticks you think I should try in the comment section below
Lastly, thank you all for downloading my ebook thus far and if you haven’t yet had your copy, don’t wait! check this post to download yours.xoxo